25th March 2008
Before we get started, yes, I’m a DirecTV subscriber, and yes, I’ve been very happy with my service. Also, I have a nice clean view of the southern sky, which helps with the quality, and even during the worst rain storm the
So, it’s a good thing I’m writing this story today after deciding not to stay up or get up early to watch this year’s season opener between the Red Sox and Athletics from Japan. While Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts from coast-to-coast were serving up fanatical baseball fans that decided that getting up at 6am ET or 3am PT to watch the game, I decided that some shut-eye was more in order.
If that makes me sound like an undedicated baseball fan, so be it. But, if I had had to deal with what other DirecTV subscribers went through this morning, well… I’d be in anger management classes this afternoon.
As I reported on The Biz of Baseball, fans tuning into the game on ESPN2 or on NESN were greeted to an outage of those two channels in most areas. A message on ESPN2 simply read, “No need to call us. We are aware this TV station is temporarily unavailable. We’ll have this channel back as soon as possible. Sorry for the interruption”.
Why the outage occurred hasn’t been made clear by DirecTV at this time. My sports business colleague Tim Lemke of the Washington Times has said that he hasn’t heard back from the satcaster yet, and neither have I.
There will be, undoubtedly, more cries of, “No more Opening Day overseas. Bring it back to
UPDATE: The following has been issued by DirecTV:
“We experienced some temporary technical difficulties early this morning that resulted in some channels not being available to customers. The majority of our channels were not affected and we have since corrected the problem. In the case of the Red Sox season opener, we were able to bring the NESN channel back up at the top of the seventh inning. ESPN2 came back on later, after the game was over. (Customers who have NESN or ESPN2 in HD were able to see the entire game.) We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers – and particularly Red Sox Fans. ESPN2 is planning to carry a repeat of the game at 2 p.m.”
If you had problems with your DirecTV feed for ESPN2 or NESN, or have heard back from DirecTV on the outage, post your comments. I’d like to hear for a possible future column.
OTHER NEWS ACROSS THE BUSINESS OF SPORTS NETWORK
- Japan Opener: DirecTV Subs See ESPN2, NESN Outage – The Biz of Baseball
- Good Morning: Welcome to the 2008 MLB Season – The Biz of Baseball
- Lining Up to Say Goodbye: Yankees Already Sold 3.8M Tix – The Biz of Baseball
- Cavs Use Old Formula to Beat Pistons with New Players – The Biz of Basketball
- Donnie Walsh, Pacers Longtime CEO, Leaving Organization At End of Year – The Biz of Basketball
- St. Louis Blues Select TicketExchange by Ticketmaster as Secondary Ticket Resale Provider – The Biz of Hockey
- Interview – Marc Isenberg – Author, “Money Players” – The Biz of Football
- Vick’s Co-Defendant Taylor Released from Prison – The Biz of Football
- Commissioner Takes 5th Round Choice Away from 49ers – The Biz of Football
Maury Brown is the Founder and President of the Business of Sports Network, which includes The Biz of Baseball, The Biz of Football, The Biz of Basketball and The Biz of Hockey. He is contributor to Baseball Prospectus, and is available as a freelance writer.